Yesterday a fascinating article was published on the role gut bacteria can play in cholesterol control and cardiovascular disease:
These little guys might help us lower cholesterol and reduce our risk of heart disease. (Photo credit: Wikipedia)
Researchers at the Sahlgrenska Academy, University of Gothenburg, Sweden, recently published a study that found cholesterol metabolism to be regulated by bacteria in the small intestine—findings they believe could be important for the development of new drugs for cardiovascular disease….
“If future research can identify the specific bacteria that affect FXR signaling in the gut, this could lead to new ways to treat diabetes and cardiovascular disease,” said Dr. Bäckhed.
From what we can tell, it sounds like the researchers are finding that normal bacteria in the gut can reduce the amount of bile acids our body makes. Bile acids, of course, are made from cholesterol.
So if researchers can find a way to accelerate this process, then our own gut bacteria can eliminate excess cholesterol!
If you’re concerned about your gut health, do check out products such as bromelain and Wobenzym PS.
If you’re already taking a probiotic, don’t forget to take a prebiotic as well!
What this guy says on TV is very troubling….
We’ve expressed our concerns in the past about the scientific and medical claims made by Dr Oz on TV. This letter to the Dr Oz show demonstrates that we’re not alone:
After consulting with other colleagues who were similarly approached by you and those who did participate, however, I am compelled to again voice my concerns regarding the potential violation by Dr. Oz of medical ethics and high risk of misrepresentation of human health information by Dr. Oz, Zoco Productions and Oprah Winfrey’s Harpo Studios on this issue.
Once again, we see yet another clinical study published in a highly reputable journal suggesting that fish oil, glucosamine, and chondroitin are powerful, but safe anti-inflammatory supplements.
The results showed that with regular use of glucosamine, chondroitin, and fish oil supplements was associated with reductions in CRP of 17%, 22%, and 16%, respectively.
What is really impressive about this particular study is its size. Nearly 10,000 adults were sampled in the study.
So, like we’ve said many times…if you are concerned about your heart health, or if you have chronic inflammation from arthritis or other inflammatory disease, please start taking these supplements.
But, stay away from the cheap stuff!
Only the highest quality fish oil and glucosamine supplements should be used.
Today we learned that UPS is raising their rates, effective December 31:
• UPS Air and International Services will increase an average net 4.5% through a combination of a 6.5% increase in rates and a two percentage point reduction in the UPS Air and International fuel surcharge table.
• UPS Ground Services will increase an average net 4.9% through a combination of a 5.9% increase in rates and a one percentage point reduction in the UPS Ground fuel surcharge table.
• UPS Next Day Air® Freight, UPS 2nd Day Air® Freight and UPS 3 Day Freight® rates for shipments within and between the U.S., Canada and Puerto Rico will increase 4.9%.
So how can you reduce your shipping costs when you purchase something from WisdomAndHealth.com? Here are a few tips:
The old white truck may be your best shipping option…
- US Postal Service tends to be the least costly option, especially Parcel Post.
- If you choose USPS Parcel Post, we will automatically upgrade to Priority Mail if we can, at no extra charge.
- If you are in a hurry, UPS tends to have lower cost shipping options than FedEx. Try the UPS 3-Day Select option. It can be a good value.